AMSTERDAM TRAVEL DIARES - Day 2
Day 2 : Amsterdam :
*Monkey Cap, Changing Cape, Spinning Head, Stunning Music* :
Another night without dreams crept in as I hit the bed on Day 1.
I was awakened in the morning with ducks n birds singing, there’s a lake right outside my window. The entire place was quite and I cud hear people snoring so loudly that I decided to be a 5:30am man.
I walked straight into the restroom like a superman and then realised there’s no focet, now with a facepalm, my head screamed out so loud that the ducks kept quite. “ Duck me, No focet “
I screamed in my head “ Europe “ they use only tissue paper in the loo. Nothing else.
The things we take for granted in In india. Sigh.
Anyways, back with my swagger, I Got myself ready.
To go where you ask
“ To buy a monkey cap”. Yes a monkey cap.
From the time I landed my head was costly hit by cold winds, that I promised myself before going to bed on the first night, “ _cap first thing in the morning_ “ was the song in my head.
Last evening when I enquiried in the reception, about a cap. Pat came the reply from a smiling man “ Go to Amsterdam Central “
Back in India, I live in Thippasandra where we get the whole world next to our house.
Imagine to buy a monkey cap I had to take a metro 9 stops away from where I stay in Deimen Ruid. Cos they don’t mix residential areas with commercial areas.
I took a metro and when I got off Central in my cool swagger I was confronted with a 15 storey elevator. I was stunned, but I just went with the flow, as the steps began there was a strange tingling under my feet. I was not even midway, I think it was just 25% and my fear of heights took over me. I began sweating and legs were actually shaking. I was certain I am going to fall down rolling back on the escalator as it began its mount. Midway through my right hand was on the escalator and I realised on my left hand was my phone. I slowly kept my phone back and held the railing tightly with both my hands . By now I was 10 storey up and by now a strange feeling took over me, my body was shaking and I was about to fall back rolling down the stairs 10 storey. By now I am nauseous and my body is filled in sweat.
At that moment I looked up at a single point up above and kept looking at it and I told myself, nothing is moving. As a loyal atheist I didn’t even have a god to save me or a prayer to tell. Only a cap between my legs. As the escalator moved faster, i finally reached the other side.
O M G, that was such a life and death experience for me, just for a money cap.
Super Man became Langot Man in 1 minute.
Maybe I shud direct a play on this theme the next time. “ _I shall explore this theme as a devised play with my team next time_ “, I promised myself.
Landing at Amsterdam central in search of a cap, I realise that all the commercial places open by 11am
I decided to treat myself with a breakfast, I carefully chose a cozy space. I ordered for salmon sandwich and I get that with rose petals it took me by surprise.
I wondered if I cud eat the rose petals or was it some sort of decoration. I called my saviour in India, who told me “ don’t touch it, remember you are travelling alone, what if something happens “
So I kept aside the petals are just one petal, it tasted sweet.
The blue-eyed blond waitress was kind and smiling, looked like a youngster. After delivering the food she came by my table to check if I was fine, if the food was good. In my head I said “ you are an angel, compared to encounter one“
Smiling people all around the cafe and warm waiters, I found myself relaxed in an empty city that was just waking up.
I quickly bought a cap and I was back with a swagger on the streets and I realised I had to take the metro to watch the paintings of Dutch Masters in the Rijsk Museum. I was getting late.
So I ran back to the metro station, only to be confronted with the monstrous 15 storey escalator, I had to go down all the way now. I gulped my spit drank two big sips of water from my bottle decided to do the “ escalator “ with my cape as a lungi.
There’s more power in a lungi I told myself as s proud mallu.
As I went down I strangely realised it was easy, midway through my lungi moved slowly onto my shoulder and it became the superman cape. With an evil smile on my face. I reached down with incredible energy and gave a high five to a security gaurd who wondered what I was upto.
Rushing straight into Museum. Time stood still.
I stood absolutely still in front of a Monet as people walked past me. I was stunned and shocked with a painter whom i considered my guru. I put my cape down on the floor next to the paint and knelt down to my god.
On my way back I had tears in my eyes standing and listening to a musician playing incredible music on street with people throwing money into his box. “ Wish I cud help you make more money / fix more shows for you “
In Europe when musicians was down ( physically mentally emotionally or economically ) they go out into the streets and play.
Now humbled with the experience and music of the musicians in my head I slowly head back to my place.
Another night awaits me in a country where the sun sets for 2-3 hours, darkness is a luxury that people don’t have here.
They do everything here to get sleep and crate darkness. Darkness evades most European countries them forever, it’s like they are cursed in their own sunlight.
Comments
Post a Comment