AMSTERDAM TRAVEL DIARIES - Day 1

​*Travel Diary*: 

Day 1 : Stuttgart 

Having experienced all kinds micro-racism in my last set of travels to Europe in 2012, 2013 and 2015. I decided to dress up in a suit and travel and see as a social experiment if I did face any.

I land in Stuttgart for a connecting flight to Amsterdam, my wait time was 3 hours. I decided to buy food for breakfast it was already 10am. My flight was at 12 noon. 


I walked into a standing store where it run by a japanese, the man at the counter was very kind and curteous.  I bought a salmon sandwich and munched away to glory on a table and a chair. I must see what is around I told myself and saw a few shops. 


*Encounter 1 *

I was thirsty, and walked into a standing store, I was the only customer. I asked the girl for a bottle of water, and then I looked, there were atleast 4 different bottles of water. I asked her what is the difference. Pat came the reply “ I don’t know “ her face away from me and looking in the opposite side. I sensed her immediately (racist screamed inner voice). The  She asked something and I did not respond nor looked at her. She was surprised. She looked at me and said if you pay €4.50 then you can return the plastic bottle. But if you pay 4.75, then can take the bottle. I paid 4.75 and my head raced. How do I get back. I decided to finish the bottle, which I did in 20 min. I went back to her and gave her the bottle. She looked at me stunned, didn’t know what to say. Didn’t expect it I guess. I will pay back she said. “ Keep it “ i said and walked away and my mind said “ 25 cents for your attitude “ 


I was expecting this and much more in my travel, but this is even before I landed 


Encounter 2:

I took a train from the airport to where I was staying. Opposite me was a traveller. He was from Australia. We had a great conversation. He was solo travelling across Europe for 65 days. We spoke about covid, government scams, our travels, our profession, our GFs. He never visited india, but he wants to. After understanding from me the difference between Bangalore and Varanasi, he wanted to visit only Varanasi. I wasnt surprised as this was a common choice amount my European friends. 

I was so happy after the interaction, only after he got down in his station and waved good luck and goodbye i realised, this was so beautiful as an experience. So different from encounter 1. 


I landed at the place where I stay and I made friends with my roomie, Rico, who is half italian and half Moroccan. He was raised in London and so has a thick UK accent. Like all people in my travel so far. He was shocked that I was an actor travelling for my theatre performance. “ how cool is that” he said. “ when your passion is your profession”. “ which is such a dream “. When I enquired about his profession “marketing” he said “ and it’s 100% work from home so I travel across Europe and work although my pay is bad “ 


I told Rico, it’s been a long journey for me. So I wanted to take a hot shower and go out for dinner with him. It was 4pm, I said I will be back by 6, him working in the common work/play area. He smiled and waved as he got back to his laptop.


I took a hot shower and it was 4:30. Let me just get some 20 minutes of well needed shut eye. And I hit my bed. A sleep without dreams.


When eyes opened, it was 10:30pm


“ Rico  “ my mind screamed with my eyes still red with sleep. I missed lunch and dinner. 


The Amsterdam night awaited me.. for more interesting things to emerge on my day 1, which was still not done yet.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ep 7: Ashish Sen : Bangalore Theatre Director Series